Having a criminal record may impact your life beyond serving jail time or paying a fine. A criminal conviction stays with you, long after you have left the courtroom. It could impact future education and work opportunities and even ruin relationships.

Fortunately, in Massachusetts there are a number of ways you can keep a criminal charge out of sight and off your record. One way is through a pre-trial diversion disposition.

Thanks to recent changes in the law, Massachusetts now allows certain first-time offenders to avoid the criminal justice system by instead taking part in a self- or community-improvement program.

Am I Eligible?

The best way to learn if you are eligible for pre-trial diversion is to consult an attorney with a record of successfully diverting people charged with crimes.

To qualify for pre-trial diversion a person must:

  • Be charged with a crime where a term of imprisonment may be imposed
  • Be charged with a crime that the district court has final jurisdiction over
  • Not have been convicted of a crime after having reached the age of 18
  • Have no outstanding warrants, continuances, or appeals pending
  • Has a recommendation from a diversion program that the person would benefit from participation

Contact the Medford, Massachusetts law office of Attorney William Barabino by calling 781-393-5900 to schedule a free and confidential consultation.

Available Programs

Pre-trial diversion programs could include a number of possibilities:

  • Substance abuse treatment
  • Anger management
  • Rehabilitation
  • Community service
  • Counseling

If the diverted person successful completes their program, the charge against them will ultimately be dismissed. Because pre-trial diversion is requested before arraignment, this prevents any entry of the charge from being recorded in their criminal record.

Talk to an Experienced Attorney

Contact criminal defense attorney William Barabino by calling his Medford, Massachusetts law office at 781-393-5900. You may also complete his online contact form.